Saturday, April 13, 2013

Bridge

Today I went to Dublin to do some shopping. I  stopped while on the bridge to just enjoy the moment. I was staring at the river and beautiful view of the city. I was thinking it was the exact same place where about three years ago I gazed at this amazing city for the first time. And how lucky I was to be back. I was thinking that except for Branson I had a lot in common with Sybil from Downton. Okay, maybe the only thing I had in common with her was moving to Ireland. But still, it is a big thing.  Picture of me on same bridge three years ago.

When all of a sudden this grandad came up to me and was like "Don't jump!"
I responded with something, witty, charming and relevant like "Um... I wasn't going to. I was looking."

Then he said. "Be safe. You have to watch out. Hold your bag in the front love. There. Be safe. Be careful."

I was like. "Um okay. Thank you."

He wasn't satisfied until I backed away from the railing of the bridge and moved on with my shopping. "Alright now."

It was funny and sweet. I am a granddad magnet. Seriously. Old men just appear to help me. It is a genetic thing actually, my mom has it too.

But on a less funny note I saw two Nazis today. I was shocked. Two kids in white body suits covering their whole bodies ( I guess that is implied in the title "body suit") masks and swastikas attached to the hoods of the body suits. It was actually very disturbing.

I guess this is a post on the incredible range of the human species. We have old men who stop to help young girls. Even when said girl was not melancholy so much as philosophical. But we also have members of our species who embrace and revel in hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment